Building a custom rock structure for your new Reef Tank can seem like a daunting task. However in recent years, new products have become avalible that simplify the process. Making it even easier to construct an amazing habitat your fish will love as much as you do. In the video below we demonstrate the consturction process we use to build rock sturctures.
As you can see from the video there are a few things that make the process easier.
Gloves, because safety first!!! These are chemicals after all.
- A good work space with your aquarium dimensions taped out is a big help.
- things to prop the rocks in place while you bond them together. (in this case we used PVC, but anything will work).
- Clean mixing containers for your StoneFix. This is important as using dirty mixing containers will add lumps and make clean, stong bonds unlikly.
- large popsicle sticks; they’re cheap and disposable. We used theses to add StoneFix to the mixing containers, mix the StoneFix, apply the StoneFix to the bonding area.
- Nice Rocks! We used 40 lbs. of CaribSea’s Life rock, a four pack of CaribSea arches, a 20 lbs box of their Belize branch, and lastly 20 lbs box of their Shapes – arches and tunnels
One of the most importants things to remember is to take your time, take a step back and look at the structure as a whole. When it comes to projects like these you can never really predict how the sturcture will look or how long it took to get there. So grab a few friends and glue some rocks together!